10 Questions to Ask When Choosing a 3PL
1. How long have you been in business?
The longer a company has been in business the more experience and shippings modes that company will have.
2. What are your modal capabilities?
Make sure the logistics company can handle all your shipping needs. Intermodal, LTL, expedited etc.
3. How do you qualify a carrier?
Make sure that all of the carriers in the network are in compliance with top safety scores and insurance.
4. What other services do you offer?
Try and find a 3PL that offers more than shipping services. A lot of 3PL companies can help with warehousing needs too.
5. What does your TMS offer?
Capabilities like EDI, file transfer, and integration may be important to you. Find a 3PL that has a system that can cater to your needs.
6. What is your specialty?
Make sure the logistics company you choose has experience moving your type of product. From flatbed to refrigeration.
7. How will emergencies be handled?
A logistics company should be able to accommodate special requests and rush orders.
8. Do you have customer references?
Don’t just take the company’s word for it, talk to paying customers or read company case studies.
9. What size customers do you handle?
Work with a 3PL that has both large and small accounts. You want a 3PL that caters to any need.
10. How does technology help drive your organizational goals?
Ask what technology investments the company has made over the years to ensure their processes are up-to-date and most efficient.